We are very proud to introduce today’s update to everyone! Finally, GunColony has multiple servers and the ability to hold more players without lag. In addition, we are doing a Double XP weekend for Arcade, which also includes new scenarios and balancing changes to Zombie Siege. Join now and let’s have an Arcade party!
PS: since the largest technical plans for the summer are now complete, for the next 2 months you should expect rapid and radical updates to come to the server and the community. Our target for the coming months is to improve the quality of the server and to nurture a unique FPS experience that you simply can’t find in other games.
ADDITIONAL PVP SERVERS
We have finally finished our multi-server implementation and rolled out a beta version today!
Arcade, Veteran, and Competitive PVP are now hosted on brand new servers. This is separate from the main server, which still has the spawn and Mob-Arena.
This update means that the server is able to spread the game processing over multiple CPU cores and server instances. As a result, GunColony is now able to hold several times more players before any performance issues arise.
Due to necessity we have temporarily disabled displaying the current gamemode of PVP lobbies, but we’re planning to bring this functionality back in the near future. If you have any problems with the new PVP servers, please submit a bug report ticket on Discord.
ARCADE 2XP WEEKEND
To celebrate the Arcade Update, enjoy double XP in Arcade and Mob-Arena between August 6-9th, 2020!
NEW ARCADE SCENARIOS
Some of our April Fools scenarios have found a new home inside the Arcade lobby, this time in a more permanent fashion!
- Quakecraft Scenario
- Overpowered Scenario
- Noobtubes Scenario
- Gulag Scenario
- Meme Scenario
- ProSnipe Scenario
These scenarios are combined with a variety of gamemodes such as TDM, Domination, FFA, Zombie Siege, and Kill Confirmed.
- Added Domination and King of the Hill random spawns layouts
- Added algorithm to spawn players appropriately specific to Domination and King of the Hill gamemodes
- Zombies in Zombie Siege now gain a temporary speed effect upon spawning, unless a human is less than 20 blocks away from the zombie spawn (dogs do not count)
- Zombies in Zombie Siege now gain a Knockback grenade during the last two minutes of gameplay
- Players who join during the last two minutes of Zombie Siege now start as dogs
We have modified the Arcade Mode playlist to get rid of some unbalanced and broken maps.
- Improved player level grouping in the Essentials /list command
- Removed leave messages in the lobby server to avoid spam when players join PVP from the main server. The join messages are still here for now, but we will open a vote in the future on whether or not to keep them.
- Added a web portal for moderators to view past bans/mutes of players
- Mob-Arena Low Player Bonus has been removed because server player count is no longer an accurate representation of the total player count
- Rewrote the loadout/shop system to be more modular, which will allow us to create different shops for grenades and gear in the future (for example for gamemodes and scenarios)
- Juggernaut Mode will now announce both team’s juggernaut name when the game starts
- Temporarily removed placebo knockback grenades
- Temporarily disabled weapon modification caching to fix a rare glitch where the cache would fail
- Fixed a glitch where tokens were not being synced properly across servers
- Fixed a glitch where the staff bans page would throw an error upon searching a player
- Fixed a glitch where the special no molotov loadout in KOTH and Domination was not being applied
- Fixed a glitch where in KOTH and Domination some parts of the shop system incorrectly behaved like Elimination mode
- Fixed a glitch where zombies, juggernauts, wolves, etc. could buy guns by typing /shop
- Fixed a glitch where if a player joins PVP and leaves quickly, they would get spammed by “wait a few seconds before reconnecting” messages
- Fixed a glitch where the vanilla death screen would be shown sometimes when dying as a zombie or juggernaut (extra health is now handled by armor rather than the Health Boost effect)
- Fixed a glitch where weapon loadout choices would not save properly for weapon items obtained after a certain update
Hotfix #2 8/7/2020:
- Zombies and wolves in Zombie Siege now take 5 seconds instead of 2 to respawn if they died within 25 blocks of spawn
- Re-enabled knockback grenades
- Knockback Grenade now deals more knockback
- Added Evade boss skill to Bombbat on Street to allow it to teleport out if stuck inside a building
- Mob-Arena is significantly harder: mob spawning, the difficulty of boss skills, etc. now count the number of players who have been alive at some point during the past minute in addition to the number of players currently alive
- This should make life much harder for survivors when the majority of your team is dead, to make it more possible to lose despite respawning being significantly faster now
- Has no effect on solo play
- Re-enabled rank-dependent join and leave messages for the lobby server
- Changed the map voting item to a green tablet instead of the empty map to fix it turning into a map when right clicked client-side
- Added ViaVersion to staffbuild server
- Updated ViaVersion to 3.1.0-rc1 on all servers to ensure a swift update when 1.16.2 releases
- In all PVP modes your armor now turns a darker color when you equip Kevlar & Helmet
- Fixed NPE arising from the recent PVP loadout rewrite
- Fixed a glitch where bans and mutes were not functioning properly
- Fixed an oversight which caused players to not gain any starting money in PVP gamemodes
- Fixed a long-standing glitch where projectile particles cause an NPE if the player changes world after firing the projectile
- Updated anti cheat to fix a “kicked for flying” glitch when teleporting
- Might cause some rubberbanding to occur; we are currently investigating this issue
- Removed Agency Juggernauts because juggernauts could survive the fall off the map
- Fixed a long-standing glitch where if a player finishes Mob-Arena with absorption hearts, then the hearts will stay rendered but not do anything
- Fixed a long-standing glitch where if a player respawns in Deserted Mob-Arena while inside the lava in the lobby, they will stay on fire while they respawn
- Fixed a glitch where zombies in Zombie Siege would get knockback grenades when they spawn the first time
Hotfix #3 8/8/2020
- Fixed a glitch where Defusal Mode had the buy system of normal PVP
- Fixed a glitch where you could not unequip items in normal PVP
- Switched anti-cheat system to remove server lag issues and rubberbanding in PVP
- Donations on the store will now automatically be granted in-game (no longer requires admin to manually grant it)
- Fixed a glitch where humans on Zombie Siege had no starting money
- Fixed a glitch where if one’s loadout is worth more than $6000 it gets reset on respawn even if the player has enough money to equip the loaduot
- Removed non-functional “Office Zombie Siege” scenario in Arcade
Hotfix #4 8/10/2020
- The double XP event has ended!
- You can now see the current gamemode and status of PVP servers. This was planned to be in the next update but I feel that it made sense to release it early
- Fixed a glitch where you could not open the shop until you die when joining PVP mid game
- Fixed a glitch where the Lake map had a “human spawn” armor stand that was not properly removed after game end
- Updated server MOTD message format, and added a checkmark to the right of player count to assure players that the server is indeed working
- Actually fixed “Loadout too expensive” glitch, it was caused by a flipped boolean flag in the code
- Fixed a glitch where voting for Domination sometimes does not result in the correct map being played