We have been working hard over the last month to develop a 1.17 build for GunColony. It has finally arrived and become playable in Mob-Arena in time for Halloween! Get ready for some new spooky guests when playing this year’s Halloween maps!
MINECRAFT 1.17 TEST SERVER
The way to test out the new 1.17 build for GunColony is through our Mob-Arena test server. To join this server, all you need to do is to click one of the new NPCs at spawn to join either Graveyard, Tomb, or Haunted.
- The weapon configs are exactly the same as the 1.12 build
- There is a translation layer so that the old item IDs continue to work until the config has been fully updated
- Therefore, all player progress is safely shared between the 1.12 build and the beta 1.17 build
- Joining Graveyard, Tomb, or Haunted will automatically put you in the 1.17 server, where you will encounter new mobs
- Other servers remain on 1.12 for now
1.17 BUILD CHANGELOG
- All plugins have been updated (except ol’ reliable ScriptBlock)
- Replaced legacy action bar, title, and item attribute methods with Bukkit API ones
- Switched other item and entity NBT handling from PowerNBT to NBT API
- Added the ability to aim down sights while swimming
- Made the timer for async shooting and recoil more accurate
- Fixed a bug where the Dual Berettas and High Voltage Gloves could fire using left click, which would not consume ammo
- Improved the Fabulous Mode to use packets instead of an actual entity in the server
- Removed nearly all server overhead when players have Fabulous Mode activated
- Fixed the bug where Fabulous Mode crosshair would occasionally flicker or disappear
- Fixed a bug where Husks did not have natural armor in hit damage calculations
- Added headshot hitboxes to more mobs
- All 1.13+ mobs, except for Phantoms (head moves around too much client-side) and some other mobs where a head hitbox doesn’t make sense
- Donkeys, Mules, Bats, Parrots, and Vexes
- Guardians no longer attack players continuously and should now behave like vanilla
- In exchange, their attack damage is restored to the vanilla value
- Added Spawn Phantoms boss ability
- Added Puffer Mines boss ability
- Fixed a bug where Fire Aura boss ability did not work and could not be used by any bosses
Why did we decide to update to 1.17? There are a lot of improvements that the versions since 1.12.2 have brought to the game, which are relevant to GunColony. Here is a non-exhaustive list:
- New blocks from 1.13-1.17 which can be used in GunColony maps
- New mobs from 1.13-1.17 which can be used in Mob-Arena
- Pufferfish, Ravagers, Bees, Piglin Brutes, Goats, etc.
- The ability to have adjustable world height thanks to 1.17’s experimental settings
- Servers use less RAM due to the ability to use OpenJ9 java without breaking
- New GUI and HUD changes made possible due to the font updates introduced in 1.13
- This may include custom health/ammo indicators, better kill feed gun icons, etc.
- CustomModelData introduced in 1.15 makes resource packs much easier to maintain
- 1.5 block crouch height and the ability to crawl using trapdoors enable more map design opportunities in both PVP and PVE
- Glow Item Frames which may receive an invisible texture and be used for cool decals when paired with custom models
- Potential hold-left-click-to-shoot workaround allowing a control scheme closer to most first-person shooters
There is, however, one downside to updating the server to 1.17, which is that moving while aiming down sights can appear laggy in 1.14+. You can download TheShwarma’s MovementFix mod to fix this problem, which runs on Fabric and can be installed alongside performance mods like Sodium.
FOR CURRENT 1.12 PLAYERS
In the next few updates, GunColony will be updated entirely to the 1.17 build. If you are currently playing GunColony on 1.12, don’t worry! You will still be able to join even after the full update to 1.17. You won’t see the correct texture on new blocks in any new maps that use them, however.
We will try to ensure that GunColony’s core features remain fully working on 1.12 until holidays 2021, after which point we will only release 1.17 versions of the resource pack, and may add new GUI/HUD features that will appear broken on 1.12.
Thus, you are encouraged to update before the end of the year, but don’t feel stressed out to update now. We will have a set of recommendations for performance mods out soon in case your computer currently gets lower FPS in 1.17 than 1.12.
- MythicMobsExtension is not currently updated to 1.17, and therefore some custom mobs like Ghosts will not have their movement ability
- The WorldEdit map schematic system does not work yet
- The ping compensation hit registration system does not work on 1.17 since the anti-cheat plugin we use to get reliable player ping is not integrated yet (this means you have to aim ahead of targets on the test server to hit them for now)