I have put in some work on Mob-Arena's backend code today. There's little actual change gameplay-wise, though, at least for now. We are planning on a huge update some time very soon that will do nothing short of totally revamping the server, and this new Mob-Arena rework will be one part of it, so stay tuned.
- Added many new mobs that utilize Libs' Disguises plugin.
- Fixed a display bug on Husks, Strays, Wither Skeletons and Elder Guardians which caused them to display as their normal counterparts.
- Added an extensive system of over-time spawns and ability to put multiple spawn groups of mobs into a single wave. This allows us to fine-tune exactly when and where the mobs spawn, and even allow us to create bosses with nonstop-spawning minion mobs in the background.
For now we have tweaked the Nether map to incorporate these new features as a proof-of-concept. Feel free to try it out, or wait for our big updates to roll out in a few days. As always, please report feedback and bugs on our forums.
We have tweaked the Starter, Nether, Suburb and Infection maps. They are now much more different than before and takes advantage of the new Mob-Arena features. Be sure to check them out!
- The number of waves now depends on the map, and they are the same as the original Mob-Arenas from before they all got normalized to 100/50 waves.
- The time between waves now also depends on the map.
- Armored mobs are now very rare, and their armor level no longer depends on the difficulty.
- In return, most mobs now have double health.
- Mobs in a single wave no longer spawn all at once. Instead, they spawn over a few seconds. This reduces strain on the server's hardware and also makes it more forgiving to be in the open.
- Boss waves will now spawn minions nonstop (but rather slowly) so long as the boss is still alive. The type of minion depends on the boss.
- The bosses now delay 10 seconds before spawning to give players time to prepare and allow a few minions to spawn in first.
- Added many types of new mobs, including disguised mobs which look like animals. One of the bosses is even a pig!
- Revamped visuals on boss abilities!
- A new ability: Laser!
- The rest of the map changes will follow up soon.
The Mob-Arena lobby has also gotten a visual revamp. Now, the lobby shows the icon of each map in the voting menu, the number of waves, and a good estimate of the map's difficulty.
We have also removed Easy mode from the Mob-Arena lobby because it is rarely played, but you can still vote for it if you choose to manually join a match.
Today's update builds off of yesterday's addition of the Infected mode, aiming to make the Infected experience more balanced and diverse.
INFECTED MAP CHANGES
We have tweaked two Infected maps, Deserted and Oasis, to provide a more balanced and even experience. Images of the new maps can be found here:
We have made many balance changes to Infected and implemented more features. Note that the mode is still in Alpha and imbalances/bugs may still exist, so do not hesitate to report them in the forums.
- Implemented Zombie Healer and Zombie Grenades. The healer is much faster than before, but requires a 3 second swap time before the zombie can begin healing. The grenade, on the other hand, works pretty much the same. Both gadgets require reaching a certain Infected level to unlock.
- In matches of at least 4 players, one of the starting zombies will start at Level 3, meaning that it will have a speed boost, chainmail helmet, and the healer. Any other starting zombies will only start at Level 1 with a gold helmet.
- Rebalanced zombie kits, and reduced the speed of all zombies.
- The Heavy zombie kit now disguises as a Husk, and the Vampiric kit now disguises as a Wither Skeleton, so all Infected players now show their armor and therefore their level
- Headshot multiplier in Infected reduced to 2X
- Bolt-action snipers now deal 1.5X damage in Infected (NTW-20 only does 1.2X)
- Weapons now start with less ammo, but when other human players are infected, you gain extra ammo up to a maximum cap
- The stun effect is greatly reduced when fired upon rapidly or by multiple players compared to before (affects both Infected and PVP)
We have also decided to tweak the balance of weapons to make them behave more realistic.
- Gravity of all guns reduced by 75%. This makes the bullet trajectory in the server far more realistic (in fact, the new bullet drop is still higher than real life values, even when not considering zeroing) and also easier for new players to pick up.
- Tavor X95-R damage dropoff increased by 20% to make it behave more in line with other SMGs.
Today we have brought back an Alpha version of our popular Infected game, plus a change in the damage calculation method in Mob-Arena to make the gamemode more immersive and balanced.
The Infected mode is finally BACK!
This is an alpha test of a reboot of the classic Infected mode launched approximately 2 years ago in GunColony. If you are familiar with the old mode, you will find most mechanics similar to before, but with Infected gadgets like zombie grenades temporarily unavailable (we will bring them back soon).
Most maps are the same as before, and playable under the same criteria. Enjoy the nostalgia playing in these familiar maps.
The classic Dust II map also received a different, more connected layout in Infected mode to give a fresh feeling and extra challenge. Major defensive positions after the revamp can be viewed in this album: https://imgur.com/a/H5Rar
MOB-ARENA DAMAGE SYSTEM
The damage calculation in Mob-Arena has been changed. The old damage calculation involved using the vanilla damage algorithm but with armor penetrating weapons dealing bonus damage to armored mobs to simulate a defense-ignoring effect. This did not play out well, especially with Minecraft 1.9's new damage system.
The new damage calculation algorithm is completely custom and uses exponential decay to calculate the damage absorption of armor. It is calculated as follows:
- Each armor point and Protection enchantment level will count as 1 point of armor, up to 36 for a perfectly armored mob, but expect around 15-20 for most mobs in Hard difficulty.
- Every 20 points of armor will cause damage to reduce to 50-65% of normal depending on the weapon (35% damage for 0 armor penetration, towards 65% for 100 armor penetration)
- The damage reduction is exponential, which means that the higher the mob's armor points, the greater the effect of your weapon's armor penetration.
- The new Infected mode also uses the same algorithm for damage absorption. Usually raw damage is more important than armor penetration in this mode, but higher AP really benefits when fighting the Tank zombie class.
- Added Infected Alpha lobby at spawn
- Added a single block of water at spawn to prevent players from being kicked for flying while logging into the server
- Fixed a glitch where Strength and Weakness (from witches) effects affected weapon damage unusually much due to the vanilla implementation of +3/-4 damage system (you can still punch for 4 damage while reloading without problem)
- Fixed a glitch where Communism boss skill only spawned 1 mob
- Reduced Zombie and Zombie Pigman health in Mob-Arena to 25 back from 30
- Added a 1.8 PVP plugin which helps preserve the old PVP mechanics for Infected mode, and prevents guns from bobbing when being left-clicked
- Added an Auto-Reconnect plugin that allows the server to restart without players being kicked out
It’s almost the end of February, so to celebrate the start of the spring we’ve rolled out a small update that adds/fixes a few things here and there. Hopefully this bit of attention-to-detail should make the server look more thematic and professional.
It’s probably best to just list all the changes, since there isn’t really a central theme in today’s update.
- The spawn now uses mostly vanilla blocks, so it looks more normal to players who have not loaded the resource pack yet
- Changed the layout of the Loadout Configuration menu
- Removed the bricks that allowed you to switch between loadouts – they are now in a separate menu
- Added a new Loadout Presets menu that allows you to more intuitively change the old-system loadouts used in Mob-Arena and some PVP modes
- Removed the individual Mob-Arena join options from the join menu. You can still join any arena you like using /ma join
- Changed the icons of lobbies in the join menu to skulls
- Added 19 lines of tips to the PVP Lobby
- Mob-Arena tips now also show in the Mob-Arena voting lobby
- Fixed a glitch where kill assist info did not reset at the end of rounds
- Fixed a glitch where minions summoned by Reinforce Military skill did not count as minions
- Fixed a glitch where Deadly Arrows skill only shot arrows into the ground
- Fixed a glitch where Spawn Pumplings skill from certain bosses were omitted, also causing them to cast other skills too quickly
- Tiny slimes (which do no damage) should no longer spawn from the Spawn Slimes skill
- Rebalanced amount of arrows/fireballs shot from bosses
- Rebalanced amount of minions summoned from bosses
- Bosses now use skills faster the more players are in the arena (they were previously too hard to beat solo, and too easy to beat in a group)
- Changed layout of Nuke to correspond with recent CS:GO updates
- Various aesthetic improvements to Nuke
- Removed Blackheart Extreme mode to end the Valentine ’18 event
Today we have rolled out a MASSIVE update to Mob-Arena, containing a brand new lobby system, new class equipment, and better game balance. Hopefully this update will freshen up the Mob-Arena experience for everyone!
MOB ARENA LOBBY
We have opened the new Mob-Arena lobby, which you can use to quickly vote for and join matches. It also allows players to group up more effectively (everyone who joins the lobby ends up on the same map), making games larger and promoting teamwork.
Once inside the lobby you will be greeted with the map vote screen. This new voting system allows you to vote for both the map and the difficulty in one sitting. After 60 seconds you will be sent into the match along with any other players that have joined.
The preparation timer in the lobby is reduced to 30 seconds. You can take advantage of this time to make final changes to your loadout and class before the game starts.
We have made significant changes to the player classes in Mob-Arena.
First off, armor for all classes is reduced. But this doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re weaker – we have also added special enchantments onto your chestplates which vary by class!
We have added new toys to everyone’s arsenal, including lingering potions, a Instant Health III potion, and milk buckets. These tools should help you survive a lot better.
- The damage multiplier for Rifles, SMGs, LMGs and Snipers have been increased.
- Rifles: 60% -> 65%
- SMGs: 60% -> 65%
- LMGs: 45% -> 50%
- Semi-Auto Snipers: 80% -> 90%
- Bolt-Action Snipers: 120% -> 135%
- The health of some mobs have been tweaked.
- Adult Zombies now have 30 HP
- Adult Zombie Pigmen now have 30 HP
- Spider and Cave spider HP now increases by difficulty
- This also means that killing them will now grant more XP than before
- The armor and weapons of mobs have been tweaked
- Armor and weapon strength no longer depends on wave number. Now it only depends on the difficulty level
- This makes earlier waves much harder but later waves easier, so the entire playthrough is more interesting and challenging
- Armor and weapon strength have been tweaked to differ between mob types much more significantly – for example, zombies have higher armor and zombie pigmen have better weapons.
- The Scoreboard title now shows the map name and the difficulty, so it’s easier to tell which difficulty you are playing on.
- Player names in the scoreboard now properly grays out when someone leaves (but didn’t die).
- Infection’s wave 10 zombie boss now casts skills much slower to slow down the zombie summoning, decreasing the difficulty and compensating for the increased zombie HP
- Fixed Suburb’s round 20 Ghast boss spawning outside the arena
- You can now sprint normally inside lobbies and when flying as a spectator in PVP
- Now you immediately receive crates from PVP and no longer have to quit the lobby for them to update
If you’re an avid CS:GO player, you might have noticed their new update adding shotgun spread patterns – shotguns would fire pellets in a predictable pattern instead of randomly. Today’s update to GunColony replicates that addition with a few tweaks that makes it even more awesome!
Each shotgun now has a distinct, fixed spread pattern. It actually works quite similar to the recoil pattern – each pellet essentially has a spot where they’re supposed to land on, and the location of the pellet deviates only slightly per shot. This makes shotguns much more skillful to use, and also encourages using them while standing still in order to take full advantage of this update.
The new shotgun spread system allows us to fine tune the performance of each shotgun. We have done a couple other changes to them so they are more balanced and skillful to use.
- Accuracy values fine-tuned for each shotgun, and generally higher than before
- Movement penalty raised on some shotguns
- Pellet count lowered on all shotguns; total damage is also lowered as a result
- CS:GO shotguns now have damage and pellet count equal to their CS:GO counterparts (Nova still retains the extra armor penetration)
- Remington 887 magazine capacity reduced to 7 for realism and balance
- We have decided to nerf the starting pistols a bit, because they are currently too powerful for no cost and discourages players from buying better pistols. The USP-S and P2000 have had their armor penetration reduced to 58%, while the Glock and XD now have 55% armor penetration. These are still higher than CS:GO values but much lower than what they previously were (65% and 62%).
- Sneaking now reduces 6% of recoil, down from 12%. We felt like players should take recoil into greater consideration when choosing and modifying weapons, and learn to compensate for the recoil pattern if they choose a weapon that has high recoil.
- Fixed a bug where bolt/pump actions won’t auto reload after the last bullet is fired
- Fixed a bug where the weapon display in action bar disappears after the last bullet is fired and a reload is not initiated
- Fixed a bug where players remain scoped even when switching to a new weapon, if they had been firing the weapon when the switching occurs (happened in both Arms Race switching and manual switching)
This is a follow-up update intended to address a few bugs in the server, both new and long-standing ones. I have also added a new helpful message for the Defusal mode.
- Added a new message showing the location of death of the bomb holder in Defusal
- Fixed a bug where players joining mid-game can fail to be added to the scoreboard (fixes nametag glitch)
- Fixed a bug where new players’ inventories can sometimes fail to save
- Fixed a bug where Mob-Arena and PVP boss bars sometimes fail to load
- Fixed a console spam bug that sometimes happens after a player leaves a game
Edit: Follow up changes
- Fixed Mob-Arena not giving players weapons
- Fixed melee weapon name placeholder in the /gun GUI not working
Edit Feb.8: Fixed & updated the forums
Today we have released a minor update that added new aesthetics update, tweaked the economy, and as introduced proper damage to Defusal bombs. We have also cleaned up some rather useless messages.
(You can still defuse the bomb in the last second)
Added a few new sound effects from CSGO to the PVP mode:
- Bomb planted
- Bomb beep
- Bomb explosion
- Bomb defused
- CT (Blue) win
- T (Red) win
- Round draw
- Player spawn
We have tweaked the game economy to make for a better experience in Elimination and Defusal modes.
- Round end award has been reduced by $300 for losers and $200 for winners
- Added a $300 award for planting the bomb
- Added a $300 award for defusing the bomb
- Added a $400 team award for losing while the bomb is planted on Red team, making the total award the same as the win award
Players now spawn with chestplate and helmet only, and they have much brighter colors. The new armor looks much better and is more aesthetically pleasing as well. If you didn’t catch the last update, the armor has also received new textures!
- Added damage to Defusal bombs. Kill range is around 15m, and damage range is much higher.
- Removed player join messages when switching between lobby and arena
- Removed timer message in pre-round and post-round
- Removed timer message when the bomb is planted, though you can still see the time in the EXP bar (for now)
Today we have updated our WW2 scenarios to include updated weapon models, rebalancing, and a couple of new weapons for all teams! Enjoy a more authentic WW2 experience in the Scenario Mode!
SCENARIO WEAPON CHANGES
- You can now use two new versions of K98k, the Sniper version which is more expensive but comes with better precision and a clearer scope reticle, and the Infantry version which is cheaper and comes with iron sights for precise hip-firing and faster movement and reload. The bolt action rifles also no longer one hit kill opponents.
- The MP 18 has been added to the German arsenal. It features a large 50 round drum mag and higher rate of fire, but in return has a lower damage output and higher price compared to the MP 40.
- The MP 40 has seen its reload speed slightly nerfed.
- The Mauser is now the default pistol for $400, and now fires semi-automatic only.
- The PPK is now only purchasable for $700.
- You can now use a new version of M1903, the Marksman version, which has a new T-Post scope reticle and wooden finish. The old M1903 is now called the Sniper M1903 and features increased accuracy but is more expensive. The bolt action rifles also no longer one hit kill opponents.
- The M1 Garand is now much cheaper to purchase, but no longer comes with the Heavy Ball modification, meaning that it loses the ability to two hit kill from close range.
- The price of M1911 and TT-33 have been reduced to $400.
- The Mosin-Nagant has been given a new model and same reticle as the K98k Marksman. Apart from the regular scoped Marksman version, there is also an unscoped Infantry version which is cheaper and comes with iron sights and stripper clips. Bolt action rifles also no longer one hit kill opponents.
- The SVT-40 is now much cheaper to purchase, but no longer comes with the Heavy Ball modification. It can no longer two hit kill opponents.
- The Browning M1919 is no longer available for purchase and replaced by the Maxim Gun, which fires a bit slower and is less mobile, but more accurate than the M1919.
- The price of M1911 and TT-33 have been reduced to $400.
- New armor textures
- New scope reticle for the Chauchat M1915