It’s about time to turn the meta around! This update aims to shake up the PVP meta by completely redesigning the recoil of weapons in GunColony, and introducing two powerful sniper rifles for operators who prefer ranged combat. The recoil of all weapons has been increased, and some unintended mechanics fixed, to help balance higher-damage weapons from their alternatives with less power and less kick.
While this update makes semi-automatic weaponry much more useful, we have also added two new precision marksman rifles.
Szecsei & Fuchs
The Szecsei & Fuchs Double Barrel Rifle is meant for defending against large animals. Each bolt pull rechambers two rounds which can be fired back to back, making the weapon more forgiving upon missing the first shot. This version uses the .30-06 caliber, giving it better effective range than other bolt-action rifles like the Mosin. An upper torso shot is still required to get a one-shot kill, similar to the WA2000.
The Lee-Enfield SMLE rifle has a fast bolt mechanism allowing its user to fire up to 30 aimed shots in a minute. Although rather lacking in damage, with the fastest rate of fire and swap speed among all bolt-action rifles in the game, it is sure to be a favorite among aggressive players. It also has a unique reload mechanic where each charger clip loads five rounds out of the weapon’s 10-round magazine.
The Honey Badger is now officially released after being an early access weapon for a while. We have decided not to release the IWI Carmel for now, since it is too similar to other rifles like the M16A1.
NEW RECOIL SYSTEM
The recoil of weapons is now split into several parts; some are adaptations of previously-existing recoil mechanics and others are brand new.
The main recoil pattern of the weapon. This predictable part of the recoil is largely the same as before, but we have added some improvements:
- High ping players should no longer have zero recoil on their first shots. This previously made high recoil weapons much stronger than intended.
- Players with all pings should now have the exact same spray pattern.
- Recoil will re-center faster for some weapons, leading to higher accuracy for players who wait a short while between shots instead of always shooting at the max RPM.
Previously, the randomness in the weapons’ recoil was handled via the sway system. Now, our random recoil code has been completely rewritten and now creates much more intuitive results:
- Random recoil previously did not recover, discouraging use of semi-auto since it was barely more accurate than full auto. Now, random recoil properly recovers if you fire your weapon slower, leading to semi-auto being much more accurate.
- The amount of random recoil was inconsistent between sprays. Players could get wildly different results when firing their weapons in the same way. Now the random recoil should be roughly uniform which means that multiple consecutive bullets should have an independent chance of hitting the target.
- The amount of random recoil was significantly higher than intended when jumping, but lower than intended when standing still. This has now been corrected.
- The random recoil will now cancel itself out over time, which means that each spray will follow the recoil pattern much more closely. You can now control recoil more effectively by learning the recoil pattern of weapons.
- It was previously possible for cheats to negate random recoil. Now, it is no longer possible to significantly reduce random recoil using cheats.
The visual recoil is similar to random recoil, but it lasts for a very short time which means that it does not affect the trajectory of the bullets. Its main purpose is to create a screen shake effect that makes the weapon’s recoil feel more powerful, especially on high rate of fire weapons, while also acting as a balancing tool and creates diversity between weapons.
This is a brand new component of weapon recoil designed to make the weapons feel more realistic. It treats the weapon as an object that has mass and can be accelerated. It adds a springy component to the recoil of weapons, especially those without a stock.
Since inertial recoil is brand new, its addition means that the recoil of all weapons in the game has been increased.
- Most SMGs: increased vertical recoil and recoil pattern size by roughly 50%; slightly increased recoil recovery speed
- MP7, PPSh-41, MP5: increased random recoil
- Mac-10: price 2100 -> 2000
- MP9: price 1500 -> 1450
- TMP: price 1450 -> 1500
- MP40: increased random recoil; price 1050 -> 950
- Grease Gun: increased random recoil; price 1000 -> 900
- IWI Carmel: reduced recoil and random recoil
- XM8: increased hipfire accuracy
- Scout: reduced recoil
- Most sniper rifles and shotguns: increased recoil recovery speed
- Most pistols and revolvers: reduced recoil and increased recoil recovery speed
- Rocket launchers: doubled muzzle velocity but greatly reduced rocket acceleration
CALIBER-DEPENDENT PARTICLE EFFECTS
- Different calibers now creates different amounts of particles when striking a block. Previously there were 12 particles for all weapons, but now the number of particles ranges from 7 to 50
- The Steyr Scout now uses the DMR bullet trail instead of the Sniper bullet trail, since it has comparable damage to 7.62mm DMRs
- Added a new version of the Villa playtesting map
- The moving and jumping penalty no longer directly affects the amount of random recoil from shooting, but will still affect idle sway
- Guns that have a recoil/spread recovery penalty when moving will still have more random recoil when moving than when standing still
- The recoil on shotguns and sniper rifles has been improved and no longer feels like it has two separate recoil impulses in different directions
- The laser beam from Laser Sights now benefits from the improved turning response time introduced in previous updates, which means that you will see the laser move sooner after you move your mouse
- Added new Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifles, and the KS-23 to the Arms Race weapons list
- The Gewehr 98 unlock has been temporarily removed and replaced by the Lee-Enfield
- It will come back as a special unlock when a future system of unlocking weapons is added
- Players who already own the G98 can keep it
- Moved the firework rockets to the 4th slot in Aviator Arms Race to avoid the knife replacing it upon getting a kill, and not being able to use the Gold Knife
- The sprint jumping penalty is no longer applied when flying with the elytra, fixing the glitch where you were much less accurate than intended
- All minigame servers have been moved to the main hosting machine
- Enjoy ~30ms less latency in all gamemodes
- This server move should also help with the recent lag issues when there are a lot of players online
- Endless Mode is now on its own server compared to the rest of the Mob-Arena maps
- If Endless mode is lagging (it’s bound to start lagging at some point), it will no longer affect players in other arenas
- The number of entity collisions per entity/tick has been limited to 2 (down from 8) – this makes Mob-Arena stay lag free with a much higher number of mobs than before
- Added back the AntiAura anti-cheat which should cause much less dragbacks on legit players than NoCheatPlus
- Player kicking is disabled, and the speed checks has been turned down significantly this time to avoid dragbacks
- Very slightly decreased the bullet velocity multiplier on the .300 BLK Subsonic round to ensure that the velocity is subsonic for the M16A1 (previously it was 340.2 m/s) (thanks PakkiJr)
- Fixed the KS-23 not working in Arms Race
- Increased the delay after joining a Mob-Arena map before the difficulty voting GUI appears to ensure that players get it consistently