The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

General discussions about the server, gameplay, etc.
Vexy
0-99
0-99
MC Username: Vexy_Vex
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Post by Vexy » 1 week ago

GunColony is an amazing server. It truly is. I've been playing since I was 15 (now nearly 18) and I'm glad to see how this server has grown. But given recent events, I feel that there is need to say something about this subject and the issues that rest on this server. Please note that I hold no issues to anyone personally. I only take issue with the ACTIONS of certain staff and am giving my views on things as a whole. This is towards the community side of things rather than the mechanics.

1: The path to Hell is paved with good intentions. I notice that often, staff are a bit...overbearing in a lot of what they do. When they warn or ask, they come off as aggressive and hostile to other players (Monty and Ninja being the most casual and easy to converse with). The main person I'm referring to is Ryan. He's a genuinely good guy, I want to like him. But it feels personally that he enforces a bit TOO much. Even when EVERYONE in the conversation is cool with things, he will escalate them (I'd like to think unintentionally) and creates kind of an awkward environment. By all means, rules are important but I also feel that times do very much change. I know the staff intend only the best for the server but the fact is...they are a bit TOO pushy with it and have unfairly punished people under multiple occasions.

2: This is a Christian Server so no swearing. I'll come out and say this right now: This is a slippery slope. I've browsed the forums and agree with something Rijam had said about kids still playing Minecraft. This statement is totally fair and I get that. At the same time, most of our playerbase (if not nearly all of our active playerbase), is 18+ judging by things in the Discord. I've heard the same thing from people that goes along the lines of this, 'I don't want this to be a strict, no swear server'. In many ways, we are just that. And while I get the idea of protecting kids- we are also hurting the adults in the process. Personally, I'd -REALLY- like to see a middle ground. But given the rules, it seems that this server caters nearly entirely to kids. The bigger issue I see is...we are okay with children between 5-13 playing a server that uses ACTUAL GUNS but not okay with basic swearing? By all means, slurs and all of that should never be allowed. But I think when you've introduced the idea of war and fighting to a child, you've already crossed that cussing threshold. As is, the enforcement of the rule is shotty. Between there being a user here who actively breaks that rule to the language used in the Discord, I notice that this rule is really only enforced ingame.

3: As the world crumbles around us. Unfortunately, our base game is dropping in popularity. That makes our server's growth hard, as well as maintaining it. Doubly so, there are issues with the server this is ran on as well. These things aren't things we can really control and I personally don't fault staff for that. I think that there is a giant rift between staff and players. Players for being a bit too brash and staff for similar reasons. Tension is a natural thing but I also feel that more efforts should be made IG to ease it up. I personally came to adore Ninja and Monty simply because they opened up, they played around with players and to me, really showed that they had passion. Additionally to this is Pale1. They are pmuch the server sweetheart and they are about the peak of showing that they care for the playerbase.

I know that we all care for this server, but these are issues that I notice and that I wanted to bring to light. I care for this server AND its playerbase despite the amount of crap I give it. Even HKY despite me teasing him IG over lag :P. I only ask that this not be taken as an attack but something to maybe consider? Maybe even open a discussion over it! So long as it's civil, I'm more than happy to add on or even remove issues with the more perspectives that I see.

-Vexy_Vex

Turbo
VIP
VIP
MC Username: TurboR33
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Turbo » 1 week ago

Hky's gonna be off busy with college applications for now, I would hold on until he gets back. I do have my own issues and solutions about GC, don't worry! I agree with everything what you said here.
みあがいっちばーん!

awesomepetie35
MC Username: awesomepetie35
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by awesomepetie35 » 6 days ago

Geez, an i not a personable staff member? I think most chill staff members who chat with players frequently on the forums and discord are very personable. I don’t know how often you check those but a lot of those guys are just as personable as the one’s you mentioned. I agree on the server being way too strict on muting things. I often take that into account as long as it isn’t spamming profanity or something outright offensive. I also think we need to get better gamemodes (there’s currently a large project in progress) to grow our player base.
I"M PICKLE RICK!!!!!!!!

ryanmoneyman
MC Username: ryanmoneyman
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by ryanmoneyman » 6 days ago

There’s a staff team on this server for a reason. There is a LAWCODE in the server for a reason.

When you say I am doing my job too much, and that the playerbase is 18+, you are saying that the rules need a “nerf.” That contradicts your agreement on kids playing on the server.

Most of this “division of staff and players” comes from salt when a player is punished. They either get friends to argue with staff or they go to discord and mouth off because they can’t handle a punishment for their actions.
Image Image Image
BELIEVE IN MONSTERS, BECAUSE I AM ONE

Trexar
VIP
VIP
MC Username: Trexar
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Trexar » 6 days ago

ryanmoneyman wrote:
6 days ago
There’s a staff team on this server for a reason. There is a LAWCODE in the server for a reason.

When you say I am doing my job too much, and that the playerbase is 18+, you are saying that the rules need a “nerf.” That contradicts your agreement on kids playing on the server.

Most of this “division of staff and players” comes from salt when a player is punished. They either get friends to argue with staff or they go to discord and mouth off because they can’t handle a punishment for their actions.
I think he is trying to say, CHILL OUT RYAN.
DEFINITIV DU NICHT!

Breaks
Site Admin
Site Admin
MC Username: Breaks
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Breaks » 6 days ago

Locked to prevent further argument