Making of: Steam Tunnels

General discussions about the server, gameplay, etc.
pale1
Builder
Builder
MC Username: pale1
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 55 times

Making of: Steam Tunnels

Post by pale1 » 1 week ago

What is up famsquad, I'm about to work on an enormous build project for Guncolony and in order to get into a better head space for building I decided to type up a post on the making of one of my favorite maps on GC, Steam Tunnels Demolition.

As far as game design goes, this was a big shot in the dark for me. I had no idea how well the map would play out and I kind of had to guess what type of strategies players might use in an attempt to complete their objective. One of the biggest changes I made while creating this map was the addition of the white building and the alleyway near T-spawn. Originally I did not plan for players to be able to go into those places but I figured since the Red team is forced to make the attack in order to plant the bomb, it would be best to have an area for red to sneak around (the alley) and to have a good place for members of the team to take on a support role with a great vantage point of the combat area (the roof). Luckily it all worked out. Now Let's get into the process of building:

Originally I planned on starting with a nice sloped terrain. I thought I would use this later and stick the buildings into it, but I actually ended up scrapping this completely.
Hot TrashShow
After starting work on the terrain, I went to work on the main building. Sorry for leaving out pictures of the interior but it was actually completely empty at the time these pictures were taken. You'll also notice that there's a weird building in the back of the first image. That was my first attempt at making the main building. Turned out to be way too big so I scrapped that too.
Baby steam tunnelsShow
Then I added the second building which turned out fine on the first try. (You can also see the huge original version of the building in the background of the second image)
Building 2Show
I wanted to have some kind of greenery since this map was meant to take place in a big city so I kind of went wild with it. I filled the whole block with foliage to add some life to the scene. You might also notice the border of the city block that is starting to surround the building. It was around this point in the building process where I knew I would not be using the giant stone thing I terraformed before.
NatureShow
Finally it was time to work on the background. This is always my least favorite part of the building process. Don't ask me why. There's something very unappealing about building these giant structures the nobody will really get to use. I did enjoy building the construction site though since I never usually build stuff like that. This was also the point where I added the house and the alley way near T-spawn.
Background + House and AlleyShow
Shortly after this point I got so fed up with making the background that I let Rijam take over (LOL). I also added some cars to the build too which Rijam helped me with but I don't have any screenshots of that stuff unfortunately so this is where my post ends! Thanks for reading, hope ya'll enjoyed (and maybe learned something/feel inspired). 😘

Rijam
Site Admin
Site Admin
MC Username: Rijam
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Rijam » 1 week ago

Here's some screenshots of the background that I made:
SpoilerShow

I also made the edges of the map more obvious by adding more barricades and things on the roads.

_VenoMs
VIP
VIP
MC Username: Kometta
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by _VenoMs » 1 week ago

that is amazing, props to both of you, I wish I could help with such a large scale operation, it would be an amazing feeling and sense of accomplishment for me, lmk if you need any aesthetic help.

asdfpoo
0-99
0-99
MC Username: asdfpoo
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by asdfpoo » 1 week ago

@Rijam Did you use world edit for making the buildings? And if so, is there a way to worldedit in singleplayer?
insert epic #1 victory royale here

Rijam
Site Admin
Site Admin
MC Username: Rijam
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Rijam » 1 week ago

asdfpoo wrote:
1 week ago
@Rijam Did you use world edit for making the buildings? And if so, is there a way to worldedit in singleplayer?
I think there is a world edit mod, but I haven't tried it for myself.
There's another tool you can use called BlingEdit made by SethBling (Minecraft Youtuber). It is made for 1.13 so idk if it would work downgrading from 1.13 to 1.12 for the server.