LMG Crisis

Suggest new features for the server here.
Steve_Happy_321
MC Username: stevehappy321
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 17 times

LMG Crisis

Post by Steve_Happy_321 » 8 months ago

After witnessing a spike in LMG use, as well as being in a game filled with 10 machine gun abusers, the follow issue should be addressed soon.

LMG's, as well as other high-RPM weapons, are causing the server to lag A LOT. Back in the early GC when there were limited features, the average TDM game could manage up to around 5 Negevs (as far as I remember) without major issues.
Now, newer players are almost solely relying on lag-causing LMG's, especially the MG34/3, and the MG42 in the scenario modes, dropping other in-game players' connection down to 2-3 bars, often caused by only 1 LMG in game. Below are a few suggestions I have that could potentially work to help resolve/reduce LMG-caused and similar lag:
  • Make only every X bullets visible as a tracer (First bullet, 4th bullet, so on)
  • If not doing so already, code the lobby so that joining a game will connect the player to a hidden GC server,
    independent of other ongoing games
  • Add more memory to the server?
  • Find any bugs that worsen LMG lag?
  • Find a way to reduce the number of plugins while keeping the core gameplay intact
**I am not a developer, I just searched up some solutions based on our general issues**

If all else fails, remove the most lag-causing LMGs from the server. LMGs are mainly used as a joke or as a cheap way of getting multiple kills, and now, they are rarely seen in MA matches. Removing LMGs could force players to improve, and tied with a previous post regarding the separation of levels, allow players to maximize their skill ceiling through proper skill and less lag.

Note that this isn't about the casual lag spikes that unexpectedly occur. This lag that I have detailed was known to be caused by LMGs for quite a while, and can be easily anticipated by players who are familiar with the weapons. As LMGs (somehow) become more popular, this issue will need a solution in the near future.
Regards,
stevehappy321
Lvl 60 Guncolony Veteran

Hky
Site Admin
Site Admin
MC Username: Hky
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Hky » 8 months ago

Firing LMGs makes a lot of tracer particles which inevitably takes a lot of bandwidth to display to everyone, filling up the uplink of the server. I will think of some way to optimize them. Maybe I'll make their render range shorter based on your angle from the particle (if it's right in front of you, or very close to the shooter, then it's still displayed even if far away so you have an idea of where they are shooting at). Just by the way this should only happen in very big matches because every shot needs to be sent to more players, and there are also more of them shooting.

Vernonon
300-399
300-399
MC Username: Fart_Sniffer
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Vernonon » 8 months ago

Im quite fine with lmg as their not as accurate as rifles and mew players don't often get me with lmg,so no problamo for me

Edit:the lag spike is mainly cause by multiple plugins(based on a fact of a staff) and lmg seem not quite lag my game(shotguns lags mai game AF for meeeeep)
I'M UR WORST NIGHTMARE !!!!!

TotalyRosssome
VIP
VIP
MC Username: ExoticRosssome
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by TotalyRosssome » 8 months ago

This is quite an exaggeration as the server mostly only lags when a lot of players are in a game at once. If it's not broken then don't fix it.
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
uwu what’s this

Hky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vernonon wrote:
8 months ago
Im quite fine with lmg as their not as accurate as rifles and mew players don't often get me with lmg,so no problamo for me

Edit:the lag spike is mainly cause by multiple plugins(based on a fact of a staff) and lmg seem not quite lag my game(shotguns lags mai game AF for meeeeep)
Shotguns may cause FPS lag on less powerful computers due to the amount of muzzle flash displayed at once. I sort of know how to fix it, but the fix does involve even more bandwidth usage so I don't know which to prioritize.

Turbo
VIP
VIP
MC Username: TurboR33
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Turbo » 8 months ago

I'm gonna take a guess.

The excessive amount of coding that are put into the bullets itself are probably one especially during Mob-Arena where I see up to 8 people (including me) using LMGs (mounted and loaded) at fully automatic, causing some serious lag server-wide, not just the gamemode itself. During the old days of GunColony, all what the code had to do is just calculate where it's going, simple. Now the bullets has to execute the code where it has to calculate the bullet drop and the RNG-calculated accuracy of the weapon itself.

TL:DR There is a crap ton of coding in the bullets that might cause it to lag also. And again, I'm taking a guess so I could be wrong.
みあがいっちばーん!

Hky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Turbo wrote:
8 months ago
I'm gonna take a guess.

The excessive amount of coding that are put into the bullets itself are probably one especially during Mob-Arena where I see up to 8 people (including me) using LMGs (mounted and loaded) at fully automatic, causing some serious lag server-wide, not just the gamemode itself. During the old days of GunColony, all what the code had to do is just calculate where it's going, simple. Now the bullets has to execute the code where it has to calculate the bullet drop and the RNG-calculated accuracy of the weapon itself.

TL:DR There is a crap ton of coding in the bullets that might cause it to lag also. And again, I'm taking a guess so I could be wrong.
Close, but as I've said, the main concerns are uplink (too many particle packets) and client performance (FPS drop caused by poorly optimized and too many particles - we had to make many compromises to make the shiny and instant-disappearing tracer effects possible).

Turbo
VIP
VIP
MC Username: TurboR33
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Turbo » 8 months ago

Hky wrote:
8 months ago
Close, but as I've said, the main concerns are uplink (too many particle packets) and client performance (FPS drop caused by poorly optimized and too many particles - we had to make many compromises to make the shiny and instant-disappearing tracer effects possible).
I think we should cut down on code temporarily until we get better server hardware, current code sometimes will even crash awesomepetie35's computer at this point. In other words, we should revert until we get better hardware to run this code.

EDIT: Unfortunately, not only the lag from the LMGs will cause to crash Petie's computer but affect people's connection to the server itself as well.
みあがいっちばーん!