LMG's, as well as other high-RPM weapons, are causing the server to lag A LOT. Back in the early GC when there were limited features, the average TDM game could manage up to around 5 Negevs (as far as I remember) without major issues.
Now, newer players are almost solely relying on lag-causing LMG's, especially the MG34/3, and the MG42 in the scenario modes, dropping other in-game players' connection down to 2-3 bars, often caused by only 1 LMG in game. Below are a few suggestions I have that could potentially work to help resolve/reduce LMG-caused and similar lag:
- Make only every X bullets visible as a tracer (First bullet, 4th bullet, so on)
- If not doing so already, code the lobby so that joining a game will connect the player to a hidden GC server,
independent of other ongoing games
- Add more memory to the server?
- Find any bugs that worsen LMG lag?
- Find a way to reduce the number of plugins while keeping the core gameplay intact
If all else fails, remove the most lag-causing LMGs from the server. LMGs are mainly used as a joke or as a cheap way of getting multiple kills, and now, they are rarely seen in MA matches. Removing LMGs could force players to improve, and tied with a previous post regarding the separation of levels, allow players to maximize their skill ceiling through proper skill and less lag.
Note that this isn't about the casual lag spikes that unexpectedly occur. This lag that I have detailed was known to be caused by LMGs for quite a while, and can be easily anticipated by players who are familiar with the weapons. As LMGs (somehow) become more popular, this issue will need a solution in the near future.