[3/17 Updates] The Fundamental Update

New GunColony server announcements are posted here!
Hky
Site Admin
Site Admin
MC Username: Hky
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 76 times

[3/17 Updates] The Fundamental Update

Post by Hky » 2 months ago

Hello all,

Today I finished up moving the server to the new machine, and also worked on some gameplay changes. This update includes a new wallbang system and several important bug fixes.

BLOCK PENETRATION SYSTEM

The block penetration system has been totally redone to be more intuitive and consistent. Wallbang damage used to be calculated solely based on how many blocks the bullet went through (and the type of these blocks). This meant that barely clipping through a block by a corner had the same damage reduction as shooting a bullet through the entire block. It was unrealistic and also inconsistent. Our new system ensures that the bullets will penetrate blocks much more realistically, as it is now based on the distance the bullet has travelled inside the block as well.

We have also tweaked the penetration values of weapons and blocks so it is generally easier to penetrate stiff surfaces but harder against previously soft surfaces. This means that shooting around corners should now be viable no matter the type of block in the way (iron blocks and similar will still almost completely block bullets, of course).

SHOOTING MECHANICS

I have done some adjustment to our shooting mechanics today, aiming at making them more balanced and also less buggy-feeling.
  • Shotgun spread is no longer reduced by 35% when ADS (this was unrealistic). Instead it is now reduced by 20% compared to before no matter whether you are aiming or hip firing. This means a wider spread than before in ADS, but a tighter spread in hipfire.
  • ADS recoil is now reduced by 25% instead of 35%. We felt that since all guns can aim down sights now, this bonus was a bit too much and made the recoil too low compared to before.
  • Shotguns no longer zoom out like a bolt-action rifle after firing a round. They're, after all, not snipers.
  • We felt like we could take some more liberties to make the damage mechanics more realistic. From now on, chest shots do 125% damage against players, and torso shots do the normal 100% damage. In return we have made the chest shot cutoff a bit higher so the chest is now smaller in relation to the torso.
MOB-ARENA DAMAGE

Following recent discussions about Bolt-Action rifle damage in MA we investigated the system and spotted that the Mob-Arena damage modifiers were not working at all. Now they should work once again. Here are the new weapon damage multipliers in Mob-Arena:
  • Rifles: 1.0X
  • SMGs: 1.0X
  • LMGs: 0.8X
  • Semi-Auto Shotguns: 1.1X
  • Pump Shotguns: 1.25X
  • Semi-Auto Snipers: 1.25X
  • Bolt-Action Snipers: 1.75X
  • Pistols: 1.25X
  • Specials: 1.0X
  • Knife: 2.0X
SPECIAL WEAPONS

We have done some tweaks to our special weapons in an effort to make them more useful.
  • Laser-451: Damage increased, no longer inflicts fire (was buggy)
  • HV Gloves: Reload/recharge speed doubled
  • Flamethrower: Damage increased
AESTHETICS

We have tweaked our particle effects so wounding an enemy is now more noticeable.
  • More blood particles spawn now
  • Blood particles now fly farther than before, especially for headshots
  • Changed blood particle of zombies to lily pad instead of cactus
BUG FIXES
  • Fixed rare occasions where blood particles would not spawn
  • Fixed the server not recognizing player votes due to moving the server to the web panel earlier today
  • Fixed a rare issue with excessive projectile velocities freezing/crashing the server by loading chunks - this should solve all server freezes and crashing issues

Turbo
VIP
VIP
MC Username: _________
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Turbo » 2 months ago

Jager spawn kill intensifies
"sure princess" - Kiathro 2018

Hky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hky » 2 months ago

Follow-up:

I fixed the armor penetration system today. Armor used to protect wayyy too much in MobArena and Infected, to the point where a full diamond zombie boss took just 1 damage per shot. This has now been fixed and weapons will now do the intended amount of damage to mobs in MA and Infected.

I also tweaks the stats of special weapons even further. The HV gloves got a range increase and is now able to do an AOE effect by penetrating multiple targets. The Laser-451 got a further damage and fire rate increase (it can now do 3 hit headshot to 40 HP mobs with focused laser, and 4 hit headshot to 60 HP mobs), but its ammo capacity has been nerfed, reload time has been made much longer, and the Focused Laser modification is also nerfed.

Steve_Happy_321
0-99
0-99
MC Username: stevehappy321
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Steve_Happy_321 » 2 months ago

Hey Hky,

How much health do zombies, skeletons, and "passive mobs" have (specifically on Hard mode)? I recently played on Infection Hard Mode, and even the M82 can't 1-shot an unarmored zombie or a horse without a headshot, standing face to face.

With this MA update, the M82 should do about 227 damage fat point-blank (approx 182 x 1.25). Unless if there was a balancing purpose for giving mobs as much as 300HP, I don't quite understand why a mob that should be able to survive an anti-tank rifle (as the in-game gun description suggests).

I'm not trying to protest to reduce mob health, it's insignificant as very few people use snipers in MA. I'm simply just wondering about your point of view.
Last edited by Steve_Happy_321 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
stevehappy321
Lvl 60 Guncolony Veteran

Turbo
VIP
VIP

Post by Turbo » 2 months ago

[mention]Steve_Happy_321[/mention], I think the random trash mobs have at least 50 HP if I remember correctly unless Hky changed it again. I'm very confused as why a random zombie is able to survive the impact from a Barrett M82's .50 BMG round.

Hky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hky » 1 month ago

Steve_Happy_321 wrote:
2 months ago
Hey Hky,

How much health do zombies, skeletons, and "passive mobs" have (specifically on Hard mode)? I recently played on Infection Hard Mode, and even the M82 can't 1-shot an unarmored zombie or a horse without a headshot, standing face to face.

With this MA update, the M82 should do about 227 damage fat point-blank (approx 182 x 1.25). Unless if there was a balancing purpose for giving mobs as much as 300HP, I don't quite understand why a mob that should be able to survive an anti-tank rifle (as the in-game gun description suggests).

I'm not trying to protest to reduce mob health, it's insignificant as very few people use snipers in MA. I'm simply just wondering about your point of view.
Zombies have 60 HP (in Minecraft standards where players have 20 HP). The M82 deals approximately 45 damage per shot. You will need a headshot to one shot a zombie.

Turbo
VIP
VIP

Post by Turbo » 1 month ago

Hky wrote:
1 month ago
Zombies have 60 HP (in Minecraft standards where players have 20 HP). The M82 deals approximately 45 damage per shot. You will need a headshot to one shot a zombie.
Explain to me how unarmored, rotten flesh can stop a .50 caliber round. I find that very unrealistic for a such unrewarding gamemode like this.