[3/15 Announcement] New server machine

New GunColony server announcements are posted here!
Hky
Site Admin
Site Admin
MC Username: Hky
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 76 times

[3/15 Announcement] New server machine

Post by Hky » 2 months ago

Hello all,

After all that has been done to improve GunColony, there is little left before the server is ready for large-scale consumption. As a result I am proud to notify you that the server will be moved to a new machine soon, both as a measure to solve our lag issues and as a gateway to expand our server to offer wider services to a larger playerbase.

New Server Machine Specifications:
  • Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2 hexa-core CPU, 3.9 GHz all core boost (up from quad core 3.3 GHz)
  • 48GB (6*8GB) quad channel DDR3-1866 memory (up to 10GB dual channel DDR3-1600)
  • 250GB Solid State Drive (up from 120GB)
  • 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive (up from 256GB USB flash drive)

Edit 3/16: The server and website have been successfully moved to the new machine. Do note that the server is currently running on bash scripts because I could not get the server panel set up tonight, but you should nevertheless see the performance improvement.

Edit 3/16 #2: The server is now converted to run on the dedicated control panel so I can now access the console from the web. Sorry for the downtime and thanks for your understanding!

_VenoMs
VIP
VIP
MC Username: Kometta
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by _VenoMs » 2 months ago

Very cool, and interesting. Looking forward to seeing it.

TotalyRosssome
VIP
VIP
MC Username: ExoticRosssome
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by TotalyRosssome » 2 months ago

Will there be that survival world again
Got One Taps? This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Hky
Site Admin
Site Admin

TotalyRosssome wrote:
2 months ago
Will there be that survival world again
No but we are planning on something along the lines of a creative plot server where good quality maps might get added into the game, plus one with a world border meant to be accessible to staff only and stored on a ramdisk for the best performance in WorldEdit. Might be a good way to give people an incentive to stay on the server and wait for more people to get on.

mr_hidden217
Builder
Builder
MC Username: Finnish_Man
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by mr_hidden217 » 2 months ago

"Is it possible that you could send some high quality pics and benchmarks of that gaming rig?

It most look magnificant on the inside and be able run Crisis with ease on ultra high settings with its E5 processor with 3.6 mega, sorry. 3.8 GIGA hertz (can't be rude here) turbo clock speed. That CPU most be so good that it bottlenecks all GPU's on the market and be able to survive the Minecraft TNT stress test.

Please do not even start talking about productivity. I expect it to crush all video, picture and 3D rendering tasks with its sextuple, 48gb, DDR3 sticks.

I am highly expecting top notch performanch on the server in the next 5 days.
"

- Okay in a serious note, I am very happy about this PC upgrade. This will benefit us all with countering the major issue of lag on the server. Hopefully the compobents will function propelly in the passing months when more people join the server (hopefully).

Turbo
VIP
VIP
MC Username: _________
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Turbo » 2 months ago

Xeon E5... holy crap, I only have a i7-4790k and that is literally crap compared to that... time to upgrade soon
"sure princess" - Kiathro 2018

Hky
Site Admin
Site Admin

mr_hidden217 wrote:
2 months ago
"Is it possible that you could send some high quality pics and benchmarks of that gaming rig?

It most look magnificant on the inside and be able run Crisis with ease on ultra high settings with its E5 processor with 3.6 mega, sorry. 3.8 GIGA hertz (can't be rude here) turbo clock speed. That CPU most be so good that it bottlenecks all GPU's on the market and be able to survive the Minecraft TNT stress test.

Please do not even start talking about productivity. I expect it to crush all video, picture and 3D rendering tasks with its sextuple, 48gb, DDR3 sticks.

I am highly expecting top notch performanch on the server in the next 5 days.
"

- Okay in a serious note, I am very happy about this PC upgrade. This will benefit us all with countering the major issue of lag on the server. Hopefully the compobents will function propelly in the passing months when more people join the server (hopefully).
Most of the lag was mainly network lag caused by excessive bandwidth. But the bandwidth problem has been solved via the new weapon tracers system. So now I'm trying to solve the lag spikes, which is hard except to reduce it by buying a new server with new CPU and drives. I actually didn't intend on getting this much RAM but this workstation was on ebay for just $340 so I couldn't help myself.